Dear Members, Supporters, Friends and Families
Please join us for the
FOCUS 2013 END OF YEAR EVENT
Date: Tuesday 19th November 2013 Time: 6.30 for 7pm
Place: Eastern side of Unley Oval (park in Langham Tce)
FOCUS will provide sausages/cold chicken, green salad, bread and condiments.
You bring a chair, plate, cutlery, drinks and glasses.
We look forward to sharing a chat and light meal in this serene and green setting in the heart of Unley.
A very short meeting will be held afterwards.
Please RSVP to Val Nairn at email@example.com or 8271 5686 by Friday 15th November
Posted in Communications, Community | Leave a Comment »
Why Care About Unley’s Heritage
A presentation by
Prof Norman Etherington
National Trust of South Australia
Norman came to Adelaide from the USA in 1968 commenced his career here as a lecturer in history at the University of Adelaide and subsequently held the chair of history at the University of Western Australia. He was inaugural Chair of the History Trust of South Australia and served in the 1980s as a Councillor and Alderman on the Adelaide City Council. He has a special interest in history and heritage of the urban built environment
- Retaining old buildings is the only way to maintain a special character
- Neighbourhoods with old buildings acquire a buzz that others can’t match
- South Australian planning in relation to planning in inner suburbs has lost its way.
A free presentation not to be missed!
Following the presentation and discussion a light supper will be provided concluding with the Annual General Meeting for FOCUS.
Here is a special opportunity to hear why the City’s built heritage with 23 State Heritage
Places and 190 Local Heritage Places are so important as Prof Etherington outlines:
Tuesday 17 September 2013
Unley Community Centre, 18 Arthur St Unley 7:30pm
Posted in Media, Meeting | Leave a Comment »
Tenth Annual General Meeting of FOCUS Inc.
7.30pm, Tuesday 17th September 2013 at the Unley Community Centre, 18 Arthur St. Unley.
- Apologies and Present.
- Guest Speaker, Prof. Norman Etherington,
President of the National Trust.
Why Care About Unley’s Heritage
**Supper Interval to blow out the candles and cut the 10th Anniversary Birthday Cake **
- Minutes of the Annual General Meeting held on the 18th September 2012
- Business Arising from the Minutes
- President’s Report.
- Treasurer’s Report
- Auditor’s report for the 2012/13 year
- Appointment of Auditor for 2013/14 year
- Resolution to accept new members and Membership Secretary’s Report on members eligible to vote.
- Election of Office bearers
- General Business
Click on the following link for a PDF of the agenda FOCUS AGM Agenda 2013
Also attached is the Officer nomination form FOCUS AGM Agenda 2013 Nomination Form
Posted in Agenda, AGM | Leave a Comment »
Please find the Unley Development Register for April 2013 following -
Summary of developments below -
Posted in Community, Development | Leave a Comment »
1. FOCUS (Friends if the City of Unley) urges Council NOT to accept the 2 motions without notice passed on10/4/13 at the meeting of the Unley Business & Economic Development Committee.
2. FOCUS is concerned due process was not observed in relation to these motions.
While the UB Committee is entitled to its views there was no opportunity for other councillors & rate payers to debate these. Correctly the UB committee should have directed to their views to the 2 committees taking submissions in relation to these DPAs.
3. FOCUS is concerned if the motion in relation to Local Heritage listing is accepted by council it will compromise heritage preservation in Unley. It is apparent most of the property owners on the have not registered objections to their property listed on the heritage list. Focus urges retention of the interim heritage DPA. As well supports a review of those properties for which objections have been raised. It also supports incentives for residents to preserve their heritage buildings such as waiving of council fees with applications for redevelopment or assistance to residents to apply for heritage grants where appropriate. It is critical the Interim Heritage DPA remain while these matters are investigated.
4. Given the lack of transparency with the UB motions without notice on 10/4/13 Focus requests council not to accept these motions.
Posted in Consultation, Development | Leave a Comment »
The City of Unley Development Strategy and Policy Committee will conduct a Public Meeting at 7 pm on Wednesday 17th April ( please note change of date from Monday 15th) in the Unley Civic Centre, Oxford St, Unley to hear submissions in relation to the City of Unley draft Local Heritage Places Development Plan Amendment (DPA). This Committee is Chaired by Michael Hewitson and the non Councillors on it are Theo Maris, Tim Horton and Roger Freeman.
FOCUS is presenting their Submission and also a couple of Members. We know there are people speaking against it who do not want their houses listed.
Please come along and show interest in Heritage, we need you !!!
Another issue relates to the Unley Council Meeting on Monday 22nd April at the Unley Civic Centre, Oxford St, Unley . The Unley Business and Economic Committee chaired by John Koumi have passed a Motion without Notice that would effectively send the Heritage Local Places DPA back to the drawing board to be reviewed! During this review there would be opportunities for more demolitions to take place. If the Council accept these Committee Minutes at the Council meeting the recommendations will have to be followed.
FOCUS has requested to make a Deputation before Council from the Acting Mayor, Bob Schnell. The Presiding Member and Chief Executive Officer have agreed to our request and ask us to be at Civic Centre just prior to 7pm.
Please come and support FOCUS and lobby your Councillors on this issue.
Posted in Consultation, Development, Submission | Leave a Comment »
Please find following details for the City of Unley development register for March 2013
The summary for this month is as follows
Posted in Development | Leave a Comment »